Friday, December 09, 2005

treacherous generals, see my dead house

Harold Pinter's Nobel acceptance speech

A brilliant speech, where he spoke very little of his theatre, but a whole lot about contemporary politics.
I know that President Bush has many extremely competent speech writers but I would like to volunteer for the job myself. I propose the following short address which he can make on television to the nation.

"We are a great nation. I am not a dictator. He is. I am not a barbarian. He is. And he is. They all are. I possess moral authority. You see this fist? This is my moral authority. And don't you forget it."

4 comments:

Soundarya said...

seriously, amazing speech. read it during a boring life science lecture at college. actually got goosebumps at some parts... :)

angry fix said...

hey
what a brilliant speech.
good old fashioned balls.

you are first person to have visited this blog.
cheers,

Ditty said...

Fantastic! I agree,it takes hell of a lot of guts to do what he did.

V. said...

ditty,
i dont know if you noticed, but the man had suffered a fall a month back, and was in hospital till a week before the awards... also he came onstage in a wheel chair. the pic you saw projected was that of a younger pinter.
AND he had trouble speaking.

i guess the point i am trying to make is about his personal courage and conviction.

and at a time when one feels weird if the words 'courage' and 'conviction' are used without irony!